Curiosity Over Pride (FYI: To comment, send an e-mail to scifidink@gmail.com)

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What is blogging FOR anyway ?....

I think I told you that I went to Geneva for a writer's conference a couple of weeks ago.
Two hundred fifty expats, DETERMINED TO PUBLISH THEIR.... BOOKS.
I think I was about the only person there... NOT TOTALLY DETERMINED to publish a book.
I threw them for a loop. I was an ovni, as we say over here. An UFO as you say over... there.
I met some really interesting people, and one woman who I almost fell in love with, that's how much we were on the same wavelength.
And... I gave her the address of this blog. And I took the address of HER blog, which she faithfully writes every day.
She faithfully writes it, out there in the jungle of blogland.
And... she really doesn't seem to care whether anybody is... READING it or not.
Maybe she DOES care if people are reading it. Basically... to chalk up the statistics of her impact ?
But..
And this is where the clincher is...
She has not YET responded to one of my comments...
WHAT IS THE POINT OF WRITING A BLOG IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO ENGAGE WITH YOUR READERSHIP ??
Hell, even Glenn Greenwald over there in Salon with 942 comments OCCASIONALLY pops his head into HIS saloon to respond to the readership !!!
So... if you just want to WRITE, like anonymously, or something, go publish your book.
That way you will be ensured everybody will leave you the hell alone, right ?
THAT, by the way, is why I'm NOT writing books (other than the fact that I am incredibly lazy, and that I have LOTS OF OTHER TALENTS that I feel like privileging over writing, by the way...).
And I'm pretty sure that blogging will slowly and surely erode the... ARISTOCRACY of being a writer, and publishing books.
Because, GUESS WHAT ???
Blogging is REALLY democratic, you know ?
Who wants... aristocracy when you can have democracy ? Right ?

No comments:

The Most Fabulous Objects In The World

  • Hitchhiker's Guide To The Universe trilogy
  • Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • Time Bandits

Followers