Curiosity Over Pride (FYI: To comment, send an e-mail to scifidink@gmail.com)

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Problem With High Fructose Corn Syrup, Part 2

Cancer cells slurp up fructose, US study finds

Aug 2 (Reuters) - Pancreatic tumor cells use fructose to divide and proliferate, U.S. researchers said on Monday in a study that challenges the common wisdom that all sugars are the same.

Tumor cells fed both glucose and fructose used the two sugars in two different ways, the team at the University of California Los Angeles found.

They said their finding, published in the journal Cancer Research, may help explain other studies that have linked fructose intake with pancreatic cancer, one of the deadliest cancer types.

"These findings show that cancer cells can readily metabolize fructose to increase proliferation," Dr. Anthony Heaney of UCLA's Jonsson Cancer Center and colleagues wrote.

...

U.S. consumption of high fructose corn syrup went up 1,000 percent between 1970 and 1990, researchers reported in 2004 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

2 comments:

JP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debra said...

I stick fructose powder into my homemade yoghourts.
But that's all the fructose I eat. It dissolves better than white sugar which is really not very good for you either. And tastes like shit too.
I'm not worried about pancreatic cancer.
Not in the least.
You must know (...) that my daddy dropped dead of a heart attack in his middle fifties, while being a doctor, and DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT the way the (medical) books say you should.
I think... that the stress of his job killed him.
Nobody is going to measure stress satisfactorily, in my opinion.
We have not gone very far in terms of PREVENTING stress in our society at this point.
We are running around like rats on a treadmill.
Does high fructose corn syrup TASTE good ??
I bet it doesn't.
On my last trip to the States, I was amazed at how BAD the food was, as I have probably already dwelled upon on this blog.
As though... we had to make ourselves believe that ARTIFICIAL is better than what nature comes up with.
For those who really want to get around high fructose corn syrup, there remains the alternative of... cooking from scratch. It is STILL possible, last time I checked. Takes more time, but it is definitely worth it.
I'm not a fundamentalist either. Not growing everything in my garden, but a few things, now.
Convenience foods have the disadvantages of their advantages, now, right ??
But nobody FORCES you to buy them, or use them.

The Most Fabulous Objects In The World

  • Hitchhiker's Guide To The Universe trilogy
  • Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • Time Bandits

Followers